This Geek Dinner saw us in a new venue, Ye Olde Cock Tavern on Fleet Street, since our old haunt, The Bottlescrue has called time for good. The new place is actually better, I think, because we can have one floor of the pub to ourselves and not encroach on anyone else too much. And the food was much better, too! Thanks to Ian for finding such a great place for us to meet.Becky Hogge was the guest. She heads the Open Rights Group, and explained the work of the ORG, who summarise their goals as:
- To raise awareness in the media of digital rights abuses
- To provide a media clearinghouse, connecting journalists with experts and activists
- To preserve and extend traditional civil liberties in the digital world
- To collaborate with other digital rights and related organisations
- To nurture a community of campaigning volunteers, from grassroots activists to technical and legal experts
The ORG’s website is well worth a read if you are interested in any issues regarding digital rights of various kinds.